The main thing i wanted to revisit was calculating the time taken to traceroute. I thought that it would just be the bottom figure, but after reading many posts on the message board i realised that this was not necessarily the case!
Judy Pepin writes :
okay, I asked an comms expert at work ... his answer is that the last numbers are the
the ones that show how long it took to get to www.curtin.edu.au from your workstation.
--- 252 249 246
to get the average -- add these three numbers and divide by 3 (249 ms)
249 ms = .249 sec.
apparently, I wasn't far of the mark in my first post because if you are doing the
tracerout from a Unix box, then the 3 numbers are minimum average maximum. --
traceroute performs three attempts to get to the address.
all clear now ?
With this in mind my answer was correct but i went about it the wrong way. Just wanted to have this mentioned :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment