Saturday, January 19, 2008

Module 4 - Organising Search Information

Using whatever software or tool you think appropriate, record the following information about those sites:
  • URL.
  • author,
  • institution,
  • blurb/ summary / screen shot (this can be a direct copy of an appropriate abstract or introductory paragraph on the site: but make sure you record and reference it as such)

Again, using any useful software you have downloaded, or utilising your existing software, record this information on your computer in the way that you think will be most useful to you in terms of preparing for your third assignment (that is, in terms of how easy you will find it to access, retrieve, understand, contextualise and recall why you saved it - and with what!).

Record this information in your learning log, and also detail how you saved this information, what software you used and why

So far i was not happy with any method i had for organising and adding notes on my bookmarks.

Upon reading a previous students net11 blog I found that she discussed two different links for social bookmarking. I decided to give both of these a go:

ma.gnolia

I found i did not like this one so much - was easy to register but i could find no way of importing my exisiting bookmarks (of which i have lots).

del.icio.us

So far this is my social bookmark network of choice. I have installed onto my toolbar the required buttons that enable me to add a bookmark with notes as i find it. I can also add tags so that it can go into a required category to easily find later. To see if this is something that i will continue to use i will have to play some more, but so far i think it suits the purpose.

After reading the discussion board, i have found yet another way to sort my bookmarks which i think suits my purpose even better. This program is called NetVisualise Favourites Ograniser . The good thing about this application is that you can see a thumbnail image of the webpage without opening it up in a browser. I just need to work out now how to add new bookmarks.

My three websites that i have chosen to add are:

Website 1

URL: http://www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlpubs/crlnews/backissues1998/julyaugust6/teachingundergrads.cfm
Author: Jim Kapoun
Institution: Association of College and Research Libraries (part of the American Library Association)
Blurb/Summary:
"Five criteria for Web evaluation
When teaching the Web to students, I include a section on evaluation. I pattern my Web evaluation lecture like a librarian who evaluates print items for inclusion into a library collection. I base Web evaluation on five criteria that I use for print evaluation: accuracy, authority, objectivity, currency, and coverage. To develop this model I had to first acknowledge that most students today tend to conduct research with speed rather than accuracy and rarely evaluate resources. So the criteria I present must be digestible and almost transparent to the student. In other words, the student must be trained to evaluate a Web document like second nature."
(Kapoun, J, 2007)


Screenshot:


Website 2

URL: http://lib.nmsu.edu/instruction/evalcrit.html
Author: Susan E. Beck
Institution: New Mexico State University Library
Blurb/Summary:
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly: or, Why It's a Good Idea to Evaluate Web Sources

This site lists 5 Main evaluation criteria including: Authority, Accuracy, Objectivity, Currency and Coverage. It seems to be the most popular of all the sites I've found being sited on many other sites as a reference.

Screenshot:



Website 3

URL: http://www.taftcollege.edu/newTC/Academic/INCO48/sec6-4.htm
Author: Betsy Richmond
Institution: Taft College
Blurb/Summary:

Ten C's For Evaluating Internet Sources

The "Ten C's" provide criteria to consider in evaluating Internet resources. Sections of this document include:

(Richmond, C, 2003)

Screenshot:

References:

Beck, Susan (October, 2007) The Good, The Bad & The Ugly: or, Why It's a Good Idea to Evaluate Web Sources. Retrieved January 20, 2008 from http://lib.nmsu.edu/instruction/evalcrit.html

Kapoun, J. (May, 2007) Teaching undergrads WEB evaluation: A guide for library instruction. Retrieved January 20, 2008, from http://www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlpubs/crlnews/backissues1998/julyaugust6/teachingundergrads.cfm

Richmond, B. (June, 2003) Evaluating Internet Sources. Retrieved January 20, 2008 from http://www.taftcollege.edu/newTC/Academic/INCO48/sec6-4.htm

No comments: